Hello from Changsha, Hunan Province!!!
Today has been a magical day - Thank you Lord!!!! We were so incredibly blessed at 10am Changsha time on September 22nd (7pm California time on 9/21) with the newest member of our family, Lily Sha Hope. She is just precious and has already completely stolen our hearts (and even those of the staff members at the hotel restaurant!!). Lily has already become very attached to her Daddy, which I am so thankful for!! Jim went for a massage today so Lily and I had some time alone (Jim and I had both gone for massages yesterday before we got Lily. We each had 2 hour massages and it cost us a total of about $24 for the TWO OF US!) While Jim was gone today, Lily did great with me but as soon as he walked back in the room she about jumped out of my arms for her Daddy. It was too cute for words and honestly, if it has to be one of us that she prefers, I am glad it is Daddy rather than me. I know well enough that she'll be wanting me in the days, weeks and years to come!!
OK, we had two cameras with us at the Civil Affairs Office but the one that took still pictures is not syncing up yet with Jim's laptop so I will post a few pics from after the actual "gotcha Lily moment".... one is of Jim holding her on the van ride back to the hotel and the other is of me holding Lily after I got her to fall asleep in my arms. What a delightful moment to hold her while she fell asleep!! Two of the other pictures are from our dinner tonight and the wonderful staff that fell in love with Lily. As soon as I can post more pictures, I will. But for now... enjoy!!
Here is an overview of our "Gotcha Day!: We arrived at the Civil Affairs office for our 10am appointment and we saw a woman standing outside the building with a tiny, tiny, baby. Initially I did not recognize this baby to be our Lily because she was so small. The paperwork we were given at referral stated that Lily weighed about 16 pounds back in May when she was only 8 months old. I had estimated that she would be about 20 pounds now. Well, I was off by a lot. Her weight right now is probably closer to 10 pounds?!! Our Hannah weighed 9.1 pounds at birth so it was a shock to see a one year old so completely tiny. The food in her foster home was obviously very limited to Lily, even though the paperwork describes 4 meals a day.
After a minute I recognized the foster mother from pictures we have of her with Lily. She came over to us but I knew from other families that I could not hold Lily until our paperwork had been cleared by the officials. We stood outside the building and talked to the foster mom through our translator and took pictures of our sweet girl with her! I was able to give gifts to the foster Mom and pass on pictures from Lily's foster sister, that has been living in Colorado since June, with her family. The foster Mom was sooooo happy to see these updated photos!
After a few minutes, we all went into the building, had paperwork and passports checked and then the foster mom placed this precious bundle of love into my arms. What a moment!!!!! After a few moments of loving on her, I passed her to Jim and she did great. She did not cry at all and didn't even cry when her foster mother left the room to go back home. When we got in the van to leave, Lily started to cry but stopped as soon as her Daddy was holding her. We stopped at a grocery store so I could go in with our guide and buy some smaller diapers. Can you imagine I had to buy the Small size so they'd fit this little pumpkin??? She is so little! All the size 3 Huggies that I brought from home are going to be donated to the orphanage tomorrow! We had a very relaxing day just hanging out at the hotel and walking just a bit near the hotel, (did I mention that they should be calling Changsha, the "Miami of China!" It is about 100 degrees with 90% humidity.) I am very happy for wonderful air conditioning in our hotel (gosh, it is the little things in life... well I guess A/C in this weather is not a "little thing.") Lily has heat rash all over her.... poor thing! I am working on getting rid of it ASAP with the wonderful Arbonne baby products I carried to China! Yes people, you'd better believe she is going to be an Arbonne baby! :)
As I type, Lily is sound asleep in her crib (it was so surreal to be checking into our hotel room yesterday and have the staff wheel in a crib and a stroller for us to use during our stay.)
I'd better get going because we have a full day tomorrow of appointments. Thank you so much to Diana for posting for me since I still can't access by blogger account from Changsha. Many of you know that Diana's journey to Ruby was (and continues to be) a tremendous blessing to me! (Thanks Debbie from Diana!! :)
Christy, thank you so much for the Ergo Baby - Lily did great in it with me while we walked around the lobby shops and walked around the outside area until I felt sweat dripping from every part of my being. I thought of you here 18 months ago with your beautiful Mia. You were right, our guide, Susan is WONDERFUL!.. What an asset to have a guide who is caring, understanding and very accommodating to our every need!!!
Thank you to everyone that has left messages on our blog and emails. I am sorry I wasn't able to blog sooner -- gosh, I have tried! We are so happy and feel like we have had our sweet Lily for much longer than just this one day. I am so excited that she is finally with us! I know God's timing is perfect and I couldn't be more thrilled with the little China treasure He had planned for us since the beginning of time. Thank you Lord!! I was thinking a lot today about my wonderful sister-in-law, Raisin and how she has been seeing Lily since she died on June 7th. I was thinking how excited she must be today to see Lily placed in our arms. I just know she is sharing in this joy of our family today!
All God's best from Changsha, Hunan, China ~!
Jim, Debbie & Lily


14 comments:
What a wonderful day..
I found your blog through my friend Christy..
Lily Hope is beautiful..
Congratulations..
Have a Wonderful time..
Kim
LID~4/28/07
"I prayed for this child and the Lord has granted me wht I asked of Him." ~1 Samuel 1:27
Congratulations on your TINY adorable precious gift! You have waited so long to finally hold her! A very special congratulations to big sister Hannah too!!
Blessings as you continue to fall in love with your gift from God!
~Diana
P.S: What an incredible gift and opportunity to meet her Foster Mother too! Amazing!
Hi~
I just got an email from Di telling me of your latest post. I have goosebumps thinking of the excitement that unfolded for you in the Civil Affairs room where we met Lindy.
Lily is beautiful and I hope you will enjoy each moment as you get to know her and she gets to know you. What an amazing gift to have been able to meet her foster mother.
May God help all of you with this transition.
Congratulations and many blessings~
Lisa
Debbie -- she is so precious!! I love her!!!!
She is a beauty!! I am crying lots of tears of joy for you!! One Lily home and one to go!! Such a wonderful day!!
So happy to finally see Lily in your arms!!!!! She is so beautiful and tiny. I bet daddy is loving his little sweetie. How proud Hannah must be to finally have a baby sister! I bet she is having a hard time containing that joy at school!! Congratulations Hannah and family on such a glorious day!!!
I am following your blog brom Christy's. Your daughter is precious! Congratulations! You are in store for more joy than you can possibly imagine. God has bent down from heaven and kissed your family this day.
Our Forever Day~ July 2, 2007
www.journeywithmeighanfu.blogspot.com
YAAAAAA!!! I have been checking your blog every 20 minuts and I am so glad to finally see you with your little Lily-- and I must say little sounds like a good description. I cant belive how tiny. Will she even fit into the 3-6 month clothes??? She is just itty bitty. I cant wait to see more pictures. Thanks so much for posting. I love Susan as well-- she is wonderful and you are in WONDERFUL hands!!
We are praying for you!!!!
Christy :)
Congratulations! Lily Sha Hope is beautiful!! Keeping you in our prayers.
She is absolutely adorable. I can't believe she could be that small!! I had a 9lb baby too! It's hard to even imagine.
I am so thrilled for your family!
Congratulations! Lily is just adorable!
Congratualtions! What a fabulous day for you all and what a little miracle.
Kim
Congratulations! What a beautiful baby! Have a wonderful trip!
Janet
Congratulations! Lily Sha is such a precious gift!
Post a Comment