Hello from our last night in Changsha, China!
This is a post from both Jim and I. JIM SAYS: You might be wondering, what does all of this or our day taking in some of the sights, sounds (and smells) of Changsha have anything to do with the "Little Red Book." Yes, it's a "BOOK" not "Engine."
Here is the story... One of the most accurate gauges of any culture is the local Wal*Mart. Here you find all the important aspects of a culture. What do they eat (assuming it is a "Super Wal*Mart,) what do they wear, what do they like in ______ (you can fill it in with anything..music, electronics, beauty aides, etc...) It's all there for everyone to see. You also see a nice cross section of people. We were standing in line paying for our cultural items (actually, our trans cultural items, including diapers and Coca Cola) when the man with the little red book came up to the cashier and plunked his items down right in front of the next customer. He was about to be taken to task by the person behind us when he produced a little red book. The book looked harmless but, by the way everyone acted, it was anything but that. At its sight, everyone stopped talking and the cashier immediately sprang into action, ringing up his things. It was as if he produced the "Book of Life" and threatened, without words, to start erasing names.
We spent some time speculating about the book, wondering what it contained to have that kind off effect. He looked like any one's Grandpa, with his grey hair, and dapper like clothing. But, when he produced the book, everyone cowered in fear. We briefly wondered what part of Wal*Mart carried these books (if they could be sold.) Even if you could buy one, it seems the price would be too steep to pay. Maybe you could pay in installments but what fun would a book like that be if you had to wait to use it.
Lily and Daddy had their first date night tonight while Mommy rested. We think Lily said "Baba" today which means Daddy in Chinese. But it could have been bottle or something else she wanted.:) Come to think of it, Daddy would certainly qualify to be in that category.
They went to the "Food Street Cafe" on the 2nd floor of the Dolton. All the waitresses gathered around and enjoyed the Missy. She did not disappoint, showering her two-teethed smiles and cheerios on them. They brought out the dishes baby's eat here, tofu with a fun sausage like mixture in the middle that makes grown-up tummies hurt, noodles, and broccoli. Lily enjoyed it... everywhere! The waitresses (who were going to be stuck with the mess did not seem to mind.)
DEB SAYS: Just a quick note because I am about to go to bed. We has a fantastic day together checking out this amazing city. The day started out with just waking up whenever (my favorite kind of morning!) We sat at the breakfast buffet for over an hour and had such a relaxing time together. And, to make the breakfast even better, guess who sat next to me and let me feed her the entire meal? Miss Sha-Sha!! She was so happy and playful, and she ate a ton!! I loved every second of it! Lily is still all about her Daddy but she definitely made incredible progress today with her Mama!
I told Jim I could move here. I'd love to come back to China one day to teach English and just to really meet all of these people. Well, maybe not ALL of the people... there are a billion here right?
Jim is feeling much better than he did last night. Thank you for praying for his health. The food here is incredible. So much for weight loss in China. I should have known better. I LOVE Chinese food!
This trip continues to feel like an absolute vacation. Really it does! Our China Coordinator should start advertising these trips as Adoption Vacations! I am not kidding. And, I didn't even get a massage today! I am starting to think of this as our 12 year anniversary vacation. Jim and I missed any real celebrating this past June because of life circumstances at the time. So, thank you Jim, for a great 12 years! Our life together is definitely what I dreamed of as a little girl! Although every moment is not perfect, "It's our life"... As Kate says from "Jon & Kate + 8", "I love you honey!"
Tomorrow evening we fly to Guangzhou to complete the American side to our paperwork. I will try to post to my blog once we are settled at the White Swan. I might miss a day of posting but I will try to get on-line as soon as possible.
One last thing, and it is no small thing! Hannah is doing awesome back at home with her Grandma (my Mom!) We have talked on Skype everyday, (sometimes twice.) She has been singing songs over Skype to Lily. It is such a relief to know that she is doing great too! Thank you Lor!
Blessings from Room #3012 at the Dolton in Changsha!
Jim, Debbie, & little Miss Sha-Sha


6 comments:
She is absolutely adorable. I am so glad you are having such a good time.
YAAAA!!! You are halfway there!!! I cant belive you are on your way to GZ-- it seems like you just got there. I totally agree with you about hte vacation thing. I felt the same way about the dolton and changsha. It was very relaxing and the massages didnt hurt either. I tell you, I too would like to go bakc. Maybe we can go together someday when the girls are older. I would love to go back to changsha-- it holds a very special place in my heart!!
CAnt wait to see you setteld at the white swan-- you will love it there also!
Chisty :)
She is such a little peanut!!! She is so adorable!!! Congratulations!!!!!!! (Sabrina passed on your blog address to us in the China Yahoo Group). Blessings to your family and your newest addition!!!
Gor~ge~ous little girl! She's a doll and seems to drawn in everyone around her.
I have to say that out of all the blogs I've read and all the stories folks have shared, none of them has been as relaxing as your to call a vacation. I'm impressed and can't wait!
Wow! How good God is that He continues to provide such a wonderful experience for you.
It seems like Lily is opening up and revealing more and more of her sweet personality to you. That's such fun, too.
I cried when I left Changsha. I enjoyed it there, too. I think you will really love Shamian Island. It is special. Let the shopping for outfits for sweet Lily and her jie jie begin!!! Watch out, Daddy.
Wishing I would've remembered our room number at the Dolton!
Lisa
Hi!
How is Guangzhou? If you need any Blog help, please don't hesitate to email me!!!
Go shoppng at Stella's and say "Hi" to her from Diana, Jeff & Ruby Mei from Minnesota. We bought a lot of things from her!
Have fun shopping!!!!
Diana
Post a Comment