Saturday, September 27, 2008

We are in Guangzhou, China!!!





We had a great last day in Changsha , Hunan-- we relaxed at the hotel & had a fantastic lunch with our new friends from Ireland.  The absolute best part of the day was stopping on our way to the airport at the Civil Affairs Office in Changsha to pick up Lily's Chinese passport!!!  We didn't even need to get out of the van - our wonderful guide, Susan Ma, went into the office & picked up our paperwork & Lily's passport. Susan came running out of the office after just a few minutes.  When I saw her running towards our van, she was not smiling so I got worried that there was a problem.  Everything was perfectly fine -- Susan was just running :-)!!  
It was so hard to say goodbye to Susan at the Changsha airport. She took such good care of us & helped us with our every request while in the Hunan Province.  Susan, if you are reading this -- you will forever have a special place in our hearts & we thank God for bringing you into our lives!!!
I was very emotional at the airport -- I guess from saying goodbye to Susan & realizing we are leaving the province of Lily's birth.   It really hit me that this is the first step in Lily's journey to her home in California.  Little Sha-Sha did great on daddy's lap the entire flight to Guangzhou ... even while waiting an extra hour for take off because of bad weather in Guangzhou.
Our new hotel, The White Swan is so nice!!!!  It is located on Shamian Island.  Seriously, I feel like we are back in Hawaii or the Bahamas.  Let's just say, the China Adoption Vacation continues :-)!!
Lily continues to melt my heart in every way.  She wins the hearts of people wherever we go.  She flashes that 2 teeth full face grin & it is all over for the locals!!!    She is doing so great.  She eats non-stop at every meal - all table food.  She has no interest in formula.  Thank you, Lord, that our little one has definitely connected much more with me since we got her on Monday.  At this point she does fine with me even if Jim is right there.  Today Jim said she said "Momma" and looked at me.  She has been saying "Ba-Ba" for Jim since earlier this week -- wow!!
I continue to love China and the Chinese people!  It goes without saying that I am truly grateful to China for the gift of our daughter.  I still cannot believe we get to bring her home.  In some ways it just feels like we are just sightseeing with this perfect baby!!  I guess when we get back onto US soil, it will all start to feel more real.    
Funny thing -- this morning at breakfast there was an adopting family sitting next to us.  The mom had gotten out here camera & was snapping pictures of her new daughter.  I wasn't paying too much attention but our little observant Sha-Sha was checking it all out.  When I looked over at Lily she was giving me smile after smile  ... as if to say, "Hello mom, take my photo, too!!!!"
Hannah is doing awesome back at home (Thank you, MOM!!!!!!!!!).  It is so fun to talk to Hannah via Skype & watch her "Sha-Sha Shows" that she has been doing for her little sister.  Tonight she did a full dancing & singing routine + her 1st grade workbook to show her sister all the things she is going to teach her.  Oh my!
Thank you to everyone for praying for us and all the outpouring of love we have received.  
I have to close by saying a BIG thank you to Diana for posting for me while I had blogger problems in Changsha.  Diana, there will be some Arbonne coming your way when I get home!  May God continue to bless you & your family in every way.

7 comments:

DiJo said...

HI!
I felt the exact same way when we left Nanchang. Saying goodbye to our guide Mary was like saying goodbye to my Labor & Delivery nurse with Ainsley.
And, leaving was like leaving the hospital...

So glad you made it and that Lily did so well! I know you are going to have a great time in GZ!!! How many suitcases are you buying??!!:) We bought 2!

Anyway, as much as I LOVE Arbonne, you do not need to send me anything! It was such a blessing to post for you!

Enjoy your time on Shamian!

Hugs,
Diana

Norma said...

I wish every adoption trip were as wonderful as yours has been.
So nice that you are so positive and so excepting of China and her people and culture. That liitile sweetie has herself a great family and looks like she is as upbeat and joyful as you are. Waiting to see the sisters united.

Christy said...

YAAAAA!!! Your half way home!!!! I love that!!!

I cant belive Lily doesnt like formula-- neither did mia. She literally did not eat hardly any and even after getting home the most I could ever get down her was 8 ounces a day if that and remember she was only 6 months old so still had 6 months that she was supposed to be on formula. I was so worried about that becuase she was a peanut like Lily. Anyway, since LIly is older it will be so nice to just keep her on regular food. She will do great and I predict she will start packing on pounds since she is so tiny.

I felt the same way about leaving Changsha as well as leaving Susan. Susna was amazing and I will always remember her. I email her often. Also leaving changsha was really hard but we do plan to go back someday. It is a special place.

Guangzhou is also a really cool place and im sure you will enjoy it there as well.

I cant wait till you are home so we can meet this little lily sha!!!!

Christy :)

t~ said...

So sweet! Could she get any cuter? I'm sure it was hard to leave her birth place, I have a feeling you'll return at some point. Continue to enjoy your 'vacation'!!!

The Fab 5 said...

One word......Beautiful! She is absolutely beautiful. God gives so freely and abundantly. What a blessing Miss Sha Sha is. Enjoy every minute!!!!

meremom&dad said...

Lily looks happier and healthier every day. I love seeing the pictures and reminiscing! Hope your smooth travels continue, I look forward to following the rest of your journey!
Blessings.

Margo

RamblingMother said...

your baby girl has some cute faces!! she is adorable