Another prom picture ... I have so many pics that I might only be posting these for the next year. 
Today we went to Kaiser for Hannah's blood to get drawn. Thanks to the good experience on Tuesday at the lab, we went straight there so Hannah didn't have to have her port accessed unless she was going to get blood / platelets. We were pretty sure she'd need transfusions today but before we left for Kaiser, Hannah danced to 2 Janet Jackson songs & told me, "I don't think I need red blood cells since I have enough energy to dance to 2 songs." She was right - we go back next Tuesday for transfusions. Her numbers today were wbc 1.4; platelets 18; hemoglobin 7.2.
Yesterday we went to a friend's birthday party & Hannah was so happy! Happy 7th Birthday, Ethan!! I really did not think Hannah would want to go because she has been very reluctant to do anything with anyone for a long, long time. She was very excited except when we pulled up & she saw a bunch of cars, she had me go inside to see who was there. I scouted things out & reported back to her & then she felt OK about the "bacteria level" & decided to go in.
My heart has been so heavy this week. I see how quickly (you'd think I'd know this by now!!!) an Aplastic patient can go from seeming really good to being really, really bad. There is a girl about Hannah's age at City of Hope right now with Aplastic Anemia. She had a very successful bone marrow transplant & then just before being discharged she developed a virus in her lungs. She is now in ICU on a breathing machine?!? I know there are many bone marrow transplant success stories ... I know that - but my heart has just been creeping down that "oh my goodness, please don't let my Hannah suffer" kind of thoughts.
It is hard.
It is hard to be a mom to a critically ill child.
For me, I have tried to make this all into one big adventure for Hannah but any parent reading this blog knows this road is truly anything but an adventure. Yes, we have fun. Yes, we make the best of all things. But come on, this is a nightmare.
Thankfully, I really feel that Hannah is insulated from the fears that Jim & I have of this road we are on. I guess we have done a pretty good job since she still thinks: Aplastic Anemia Rocks. Truly. I am so thankful for her attitude, her happy heart & for the great week she just had here at home!!
I know God is good. This disease stinks. No way around it. No easy fix to what she has. I do trust in the Lord with ALL my hurting, heavy, sad & confused heart. Trusting God & believing He is good does not candy coat the pain of what my heart feels when I think about the road ahead for Hannah & the possibility of losing her.
She is sound asleep right now on the sleeper sofa in the family room. She is so excited to be sleeping there ... she feels like she is having her very own camp out in her own house. So cute. Too bad Lil is too young to enjoy this camp out ... she is tucked in her crib. My precious Lily is such a doll baby!! I truly don't know what I'd do if we were still waiting for her. God knew. Thank you, Lord, once again for the gift of adoption & the treasure of our Lily that was perfectly planned for our family even though I agonized & questioned You many times during our 3 year wait for her.
We just set up an appointment at John's Hopkins on June 12th to discuss their chemotherapy program for Aplastic Anemia. If we decide on BMT or the John's Hopkins treatment, Hannah will lose her hair. I know that her losing hair is NOTHING if it saves her life -- I know that! But I also know my Hannah is loving her long hair right now & losing it would be a very difficult part of the journey for her. I will really have to work hard to come up with some tricks to try & make "hair loss" an adventure.
No end any time soon to all the fun over here :-)
Friday, May 22, 2009
Bone Marrow, Please Come Home!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


8 comments:
Dear Debbie,
it is hard to imagine what you go through. I so admire how you have handled the ups and downs of this journey. Thank God for your faith and the knowledge we can do our best and God does the rest! Continued prayers coming your way.
Love,
Inge
Sending you a VERY big girlfriend hug right now!!!!
Deb, you are incredible! Your strength defines Hannah's ability to focus on the positives of this awful disease....
May you continue to find the blessings in the muck sweet friend!
Diana
I'm so sorry - it must all be so heavy. :( Hugs to you!
Oh Debbie I wish a simple pat on your back can make all the bad feelings go away, I wish it was that easy! I know your fears, so many of us are heading down that path. Our kids shouldn't have to go through any of this, just sucks!
My prayers are with you,
www.caringbridge.org/visit/jacobshope
Debbie,
I have read your blog for quite some time since before your referral. I pray for Hannah and your family. I can't imagine as a mom how hard this is. The fact that the best treatment route is unknown even makes it harder. Your faith in God is strong and amazing. Please know complete strangers are praying for Hannah's healing. You are an amazing mom Hannah is so lucky to have you to help her get through this, and she will. God has chosen you to educate people on Aplastic Anemia and to speak for those who have endured this horrible disease. Hold that sweet precious girl of yours and remember God is right there with you.
when my best friend lost her hair, she covered her head with fake tatoos. It sound weird, but she did it artistically, and it was very cool
Debbie,
Your mom gave me your website and said she would forward our emails from yesterday to you. My daughter Michelle is currently 8. She was diagnosed with AA on June 1, 2005 followed by rabbit ATG and then to transplant with a MUD on Nov 11, 2005. She is doing great and so far doesn't have any long term affects.
If you decide to go to transplant, you should at least talk to Dr. Margolis at Children's Hospital of Wisconsin. He is one of the leading experts in pediatric AA. He uses a conditioning protocol for his under 14 year old BMT AA patients that consists of low dose chemo and no radiation, so the side affects are greatly reduced. No hair loss, probably no fertility issues, no mouth sores, etc. It's true that if that is what it takes to make her better, so be it. But if there is a way to avoid them, that is good too.
Your mom has my email address. I would happy to talk to you about what we have learned in this journey.
Suzanne Koopman
Dear Debbie: A few weeks ago Kayla had surgery to repair a torn ACL. We were in the hospital the better part of the day. As she came through recovery, it was so hard to see her struggle out of the anesthesia and get strong enough to put on her clothes and go home. I CANNOT IMAGINE WHAT IT WOULD BE LIKE TO HAVE A CRITICALLY ILL CHILD. I could hardly handle seeing Kayla feel ill from the surgery.
You are my hero. Please don't take this in the wrong way. You have always been like a daughter to me, but in this case, the lessons the daughter is learning have far surpassed those of the mother.
Melissa
Post a Comment