So today would have been one of those memorable"First Day of School" days -- walking Hannah to school for her first day of Second grade. We would have gone to Target to get a new back pack (and I would have cried at the thought of her being in 2nd grade!); we would have bought all her back to school supplies - checked everything off the list & got new clothes for her new year.
Instead I am going to Target to buy supplies for extended hospital stays & a back pack for plane trips to & from hospitals. It is so strange that right now she can't go to school & can't be doing all the normal things she should be doing. I am not depressed about it all -- it is just surreal. Surreal that life continues on & we are living in this parallel universe of hospital stays & doctors visits.
My new goal is for Hannah to be healthy enough to start school next Fall & be ready to go into 3rd grade with her friends from school. I have to set a goal. Her illness feels so endless at times that having a goal will help me see her illness as a season. Her illness is not forever ... at some point she will be healed!!!
Our tradition the last two years is to go to Dairy Queen to celebrate after the first day of school.
So, why break tradition?
Off we go to Dairy Queen .... minus the homework for her & papers for me to fill out!!!
Monday, August 10, 2009
1st Day of School
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


3 comments:
DQ has a new tagalong blizzard...I bet it's yummy!
~Beth
"Her illness feels so endless at times that having a goal will help me see her illness as a season."
~soon this season will pass my friend. You are always in my thoughts and prayers.
Visiting from FIRST A PEARL, THEN A RUBY and just wanted to let you know your family is beautiful! Just wanted to send a word of encouragement and let you know, I admire your tenacity and the 'never give up" attitude. Hannah is a beautiful little girl and YES, SHE WILL BE ABLE TO ATTEND SCHOOL NEXT YEAR! CLAIM IT and PROCLAIM IT!!
Post a Comment