Well, I've had a blast being here in California! Lily is total love bug, pumpkin, and sweetheart. I just love her to pieces. She always has a smile and giggle.
What fun to come and surprise Debbie. She was completely clueless - just the way I wanted it. Thanks to the many people who helped keep my secret. We have had a great time visiting and just hanging out.
I've been amazed and overwhelmed by Hannah's incredible outlook as she deals with this dreadful disease we've come to understand as Aplastic Anemia. She has a joyful spirit about her continually. The girl can sing and dance like nobody's business --- we sure have a lot in common. Wink-wink.
She has to take some nasty tasting medicine twice a day. Debbie gets it prepared in two small cups. It sits on the counter for what seems like a long time to me. I ask Deb about it, her reply is very simple, "She'll take it when she's ready." I question Hannah about this. "Yeah, I just gotta get ready."
Silence. Silence. Silence. I'm so curious.....
"What do you tell yourself to get ready Hannah?"
"I can do it. I can do it. I can do it. I'm a winner," she sings.
BOOM!
Medicine is down the hatch.
I'm a sobbing mess at the kitchen table. I'm overcome by her self talk, ability to prepare herself and simple fact that she took it! No tears. No drama. Just the way life is right now. She's adjusted and accepted it.
She was having some pain so, rather than wait, we took a trip to the hospital on Saturday to investigate. Hannah shed some tears at the idea of some of the procedures. But, again, she got herself ready and did it. She's amazing!
Her mom, Debbie, my sister is a remarkable advocate for Hannah. I watched, listened and learned as my younger sister explained to the doctors what needed to happen. Debbie educated the staff, informed what tests needed to be completed, etc. She did this in typical Debbie fashion: sweet, fun, directly to the point. I'm amazed how Deb's navigated a very difficult journey. Hannah has the "I can do it" attitude as a direct result of her mother.
Debbie, know I sound over the top and I said this directly to you, but....I am so proud of you!!
...the way you advocate for Hannah, the kind word for Hannah just when she needs it, the way you talk to the medical staff, the visits to other patients and their families when you don't have to be there, the way you greet the nursing staff. You have a huge heart that God's using for His glory.
Just the way you are you!
Okay, enough gushing.
Sunday was special for Hannah and I, she declared it "Aunt Rachel and Hannah Day" and I happily obliged.
Mom, Dad and Lily went to church. Hannah's energy level was low, we stayed in our p.j.'s and watched 5 hours of Mystery Diagnosis. This is Hannah's new favorite show. I think it makes her scary medical situation seem like a cake walk in comparison. We made a pizza and munched together on the couch. We snuggled and snuggled.
We went to Color Me Mine and Hannah painted a beautiful plate with an adorable bear on the back. I can't wait to see it in it's finished glory after the kiln.
Here is a video from our time at urgent care and some photos from our special day.
Monday, April 27, 2009
A Message from Aunt Rachel ...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment