Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Just Being at Home & Two Days in a Row at Clinic


All is well here @ HOME! It is so thrilling to JUST BE HOME!!! Really. I have never been so happy to do laundry, dishes, grocery shop, etc! This past weekend was just us girls since Jim was out of town for a board meeting. The three of us had a great time being together & staying home!! The furthest we went was walking 3 houses down to visit our beagle dog, Abbie. Hannah wanted to see her & after less than a week at our neighbors house, she is a different (much more obedient) dog!! Thank you Chuck, Debi, Tammy & Brandon ... I can't thank you enough!!!!!!!!!!

We went to the clinic yesterday for Hannah to get platelets but ended up coming home to return early (well, early for me .. 9:30!) this morning so Hannah could receive fresher platelets (thank you, Dr. Horvath!). Yesterday, we got to see Jacob & his sweet mom, Melissa! Plus, both days we got to see Chance & Virginia. It is so nice for me to have connections with other moms that are also going through health challenges with a child. What a blessing! Today Virginia surprised me & brought Mexican Shrimp Cocktail ... oh my ... it was so delicious!! Thank you, Virginia!! As you saw, even Lily loved it!

Hannah's numbers are still dangerously low but we are seeing small, cellular level positive signs (for example, her reticulocyte count today was 1.1 - that is in the normal range where 3 months ago it was zero.) We just passed the 3 month mark from when we were at NIH for her to get the ATG treatment. Lord willing, the treatment she received will get her into remission but we are still months away from knowing if it worked.

Some of Hannah's numbers from today are as follows:
RBC: 2.84 (normal is 4.0 - 5.2)
HGB: 8.1 (normal is 11.5 - 15.5)
WBC: 1.4 (normal is 4.5 - 14.5)

Hannah has been having lots of fun here at home. She has certainly adjusted back to things & is very happy to be home even though she swore she wanted to stay at the hospital while we were there!? She has been watching American Idol over & over & even introduced her sister to the show. Hannah decided that Lily likes Scott the best because she got up out of her baby rocking chair to dance along to Scott's singing. SO cute!!

Lily is doing so great! I can't believe how she is thriving despite all the transitions she has been through in her 1st 18 months. It is so obvious that God's hand is on her life in a special way. Thank you, Lord!! She is such a gift!!!

I am one happy mom -- just enjoying the little things of home & my family more than ever before!


"O give thanks to the God of heaven, for His steadfast love endures forever." - Psalm 136:26

10 comments:

Lynne said...

We rejoice along with you that you are enjoying being at home with your family. You put things into perspective as to cherish the important things in life. I'm with you on that. Looking forward to seeing you later this month.
Love from all of us to all of you!

Inge said...

So glad to read you are staying home and enjoying the very simple things in life! Life is Precious!

Anonymous said...

Honestly, that is the most adorable scrapbook page of the girls!!! They are both so sweet!!!

Happy for you! Love ya!

Carrie Mercer said...

So happy to read about GREAT NEWS!!! What a blast you must be having being HOME together. Tell Hannah to vote for Megan Joy... she is a Send Out Cards handwriting font maker!!!

I love you guys!

Christy said...

I have a huge grin on my face right now thinking of you guys at home. I just could not be any happier for you guys!!

Christy :)

lil monkey said...

oh my goodness! they are both so adorable. lily's little smile is precious and hannah is soooooo cute!

Jenny Birch said...

I'm so glad to see that you girls are at home.... I hope it's a long long stay. :)

Jenny Birch said...

I'm so glad to see that you girls are back at home.... I hope it's for a long long time. ;)

Jenny Birch said...

I'm so glad to see that you girls are back at home... I hope for a long long time. ;)

Nola said...

I just came across your blog and really enjoyed getting updated on Hannah. I met you in the hospital in January when my son, Peter, 2yrs old was getting chemo.

Sounds like things are going well for you. So glad to hear it. I've thought about you and your family. We'll keep Hannah in our prayers.

What a journey this is...

I love your quotes and scripture verses. Very up lifting and encouraging. I'll be back often to check on Hannah's progress.