Thursday, June 4, 2009

From Hotel to Hospital

Here we are in room #1307 in the hospital. Hannah is happy that we are in a room we have not stayed in before. Her goal is to stay in every room on the unit. Only one more room & she will have reached her goal. I am so glad I have taught her to set goals --- who knew she'd be setting these kinds of goals. :-)

The doctor has us here "just to be on the safe side" b/c Hannah has been having some pain issues. Probably we will get discharged tomorrow or the next day. When the Admissions person came to our room today, I asked if we get a Kaiser mug or duffel bag for being such "frequent fliers" here. At some point, you'd think we'd start getting Kaiser gear :-)

We had a great time in San Diego at the hotel & Legoland -- it was SO nice & we are going back as soon as possible but for longer! Hannah ran a fever the night we were at the hotel but by morning it was gone. I called the hospital a few times from the hotel that night to see if we should come but we just kept an eye on things from the hotel. I am so glad we did since the next morning Hannah didn't have a fever & we were able to go to Legoland & just have fun. Hannah was tired so we pushed her in a wheelchair but it was a very special day of being with her sister, mom, auntie & cousins!

When we checked into the hospital, her numbers were 1.8 white blood cell count, 11 platelets & 6.4 Hemoglobin.
Tonight she got red blood cells & platelets.

Tomorrow I am meeting with a reporter from our local paper regarding a story about putting a face to the cause of donating blood. For all of you out there that donate blood, THANK YOU! The blood & platelets that Hannah has received over these past 6 months has truly saved her life!

I am so tired these days & just feeling so out of it. I hate that I am so out of touch with everyone in my life. Everything has been put to the side since Hannah got sick: E-V-E-R-Y-T-H-I-N-G. I don't think people expect much from me right now but I expect more from me. I hate that I am so out of it with everything & everyone in my life....even my sisters, I barely talk to them on the phone. I hate that I don't know what is going on with any of my friends ... people call me & I don't even call back. I just don't have any energy. Any time I do have, I just want to sleep....I am always so tired!!! I have a bag of stuff from Sears needs to be returned & I don't have the energy to get that done. Our dog needs to get a bath but I can't get myself together to get her to the groomer. I feel like "what is wrong with me!?!" .... but when I really think about all that has happened in this past year, truly it is only the grace of God that I am even semi-functioning at this point.

In one week we will be on the East Coast with Hannah. I am hoping we can do the double-decker bus tour of Washington DC on that Saturday. Hannah saw pictures from when I did that bus tour with her cousins & she wants to do it.

I had a dream last night that Hannah's blood count numbers were back in the normal range. It is hard to even imagine what that day will be like but WOW are we SO READY for her bone marrow to come home!!!!

5 comments:

Jennie said...

I am so glad you all were able to enjoy Legoland, despite Hannah feeling crummy. I wish I lived in CA...I would take your stuff back to Sears for you!! I can't imagine what you are going through, but it sounds like getting sleep in your free time is probably not a bad thing! Those errands, cleaning, etc will eventually get done, and they don't mind to wait. Still praying for gorgeous Hannah, you, and your entire family!

Jen Williams said...

Oh Deb, my heart goes out to you. I know in your heart you understand that friends, errands, dog groomers, don't matter or compare with being there for Hannah and getting your much need rest. The reason Hannah has done so amazing is because she has a mother's strength, prayers, and presence. Don't let the evil one convince you that anything else needs your attention or that you should be doing more. Your energy is being spent right where it should be.

We love you guys and are prayerful for Hannah's recovery...and that dream you had, could the LORD be trying to tell you something?

Continuing our prayers,
Jen

Christy said...

One more week and back to the east coast--wow!! We are all praying her bone marrow comes back from vacation and soon!!!! she is a trooper and so is her mama! Please dont feel bad or sad or whatever about not being as involved as you normally are. You have had a tremendous stresser and no one and I mean no one expects you to be like normal-- I agree, the fact you are semi functioning is amazing! Keep the faith and we will be praying for you!

Christy :)

Beth Burgess said...

If there is anything I can do to ease your stay in Maryland, let me know. I'm an official ambassador of Maryland hospitality...so I tell myself.

I will email you my contact info...and don't hesitate to contact me...for anything. Nothing is too silly or small of a request. I'll be at Mercy Medical in Baltimore on June 14th...but other than that, I have nothing to do (no job) so ask away! I live right there in Montgomery County.

The water taxi ride in Baltimore Harbor is way cooler than any tour bus in DC. Just FYI =) I don't know if you still have that apt at Hopkins...but once you're stuck in Baltimore, don't fight the rush hour traffic...enjoy the harbor. It's very historic. And wonderful!!!

Unknown said...

Debbie Eriksen, listen to me! June 11th is my last day teaching - no work, no kids under 16, lots of time. So give Kim a list of 50 things you want done while you're in Maryland and I'll do it! I know where Sears is, I have a dog groomer, I can clean toilets, pull weeds. . .you'd be amazed at my talents! But you would never know what joy it would give me to help a precious family we love. Please!!
Love and prayers to you all!