Friday, July 10, 2009

Great Day for Hannah

Hannah & Nurse Amanda ("Lady") meeting at the metro for a date to the zoo


Hannah in front of the NIH Clinical Center -- this is the hospital & outpatient clinic for her on 1NW.

Hannah & Mommy in front of US Capitol a few nights ago


Today started super early - got to the outpatient clinic at 7:40 am to get Hannah's port accessed & see if she needed transfusions. The port accessing went awesome -- THANK YOU, LORD!!!! Hannah needed platelets & red blood cells. Her platelets were 5k (hello L-O-W!??!), hemoglobin was 6.9 & white blood cell count was 2.4.

Hannah was eager for her transfusions to get finished because she had a big date after the clinic with one of her favorite nurses, Nurse Amanda (otherwise known as "Lady"). We met Lady on the train platform at the zoo & they went off for a mini-field trip together. Blair, my wonderful cousin, & I went off to Union Station for some fun. Hannah had a blast at the zoo & loved the special attention ... Thank you, Amanda!! I am so thankful for the wonderful nurse that you are & the way you have connected with Hannah!

Tomorrow night Hannah is going to a Baltimore Oriels baseball game with cousin Blair. She is so happy to have Blair here. Blair is fun, easy-going, caring & so incredibly helpful. Hannah has no idea what a relief it is to me to have Blair here. She thinks it is all for her but wow does it help me SO MUCH to have Blair here to spend time with Hannah!!!!

I might just get to enjoy some time a-l-o-n-e.

You know you need time alone when you get excited upon realizing in a public restroom that no one else is in there. Just to be alone! In the midst of all these hospital stays & stuff, it makes even the smallest things (2 minutes alone in the restroom ) feel like a luxury!

"God is our refuge and strength, an ever-present help in times of trouble"

Psalm 46:1

1 comment:

Beth Burgess said...

As the ambassador of Maryland Hospitality...I wanted to make sure you knew Hannah was going to a Baltimore Orioles game.

The Oriole Bird Mascot spells out with his bird body, O-R-I-O-L-E-S!

I'm just being silly, because you spelled it wrong. I have some ideas of what to do with Hannah too, so again, let me know.

Giving yourself a vacation is a GREAT idea! Love you both and pray for you daily.

Love, Beth