Thursday, July 23, 2009

Update from Maryland

Hannah seems to be doing a lot better & the C-Diff seems to really be clearing up. We had a bit of a scare about 24 hours ago where I packed up the car to go back to the hospital (yes, pack, unpack, pack, unpack, pack, unpack ... the story of my life). Once she slept for the night at the hotel she seemed a lot better today & has been able to take her meds all day.

Blair is leaving early in the morning. We are sad to see her go but we SO APPRECIATE her being here these past 2 weeks. It has been so great to have her helping with everything & keeping the girls entertained & laughing. Thanks, Blair -- you rock & we all love you!!!

Lily is just hilarious! I really need to get her on video for the blog ... she is up to some seriously funny stuff!!! Also, she is talking up a storm & trying to say everything. Tonight we went looking for a Walmart (which we never found for some reason!?). As we were driving, I was saying, "Walmart where are you?" She starts saying "Wal-MAR ... Wal-MAR ... Wal-MAR .." It is just so cute to hear her trying to say everything!

I am very ready to be home at this point. We have been gone from home since June 11th but it is hard because Hannah is in such good hands here at NIH. I know the Lord will give me peace when it is time to go -- so for now we are just camping out a bit more. I'd love to see Hannah's numbers start to improve before we go home. But, who knows? Her numbers may not improve & then we will be off to a hospital for a much longer stay with either chemotherapy and/or bone marrow transplant (at some point this Fall). I'd hate to be out here in Maryland if she wouldn't be hospitalized back at home & we are missing this time when we could all just be at home together. I don't know!?! In this situation, there really just isn't a "right thing" or "wrong thing" to be do. All I can do is keep Hannah as the top priority. Once we are on the other side of Hannah's illness, everything in my life that has been on the back burner (and that is just about EVERYthing) can get some of my focus & attention .....

That is, of course, after I take a vacation alone to a hotel with a super comfy bed, a pool, lots of magazines to read & Sudoku books to play!!!!!!! I need to give me, myself & I some attention. My roots are gray, my skin is dry & my nails are neglected. I am a mess, mess, mess -- but my daughters are well loved & really, what more could I hope for at this point in the midst of all we are going through?! Manicures & hair appointments just don't rank high on the list of things to do :-)!

All God's best --

7 comments:

DiJo said...

Debbie!
How I wish I was there to give you a break, so you could run and dip your toes in the pedi bowl! Sometimes just that is good therapy for the soul!
I will continue to pray for your situation to improve, so that you can go home with peace about your precious Hannah!

Hugs,
Diana

Inge said...

Dear Debbie, I think what you will need/deserve is one of those Serenity Cruises, or a spa stay in Sedona or whereever! You have just given soooo much. I can't even imagine. You are a true example of what it means to be a mother, the love that you have shown for your children is amazing, and you have lived that love, not just talked about it. Your efforts are being rewarded, I know that. I am so glad you had some help in MD from your family. My thoughts and prayers are with you. Love, Inge

Anonymous said...

Dear Debbie,
We are praying for Hannah daily. In fact, Andrew and I just finished praying for her as I tucked him in. We care about each of you and can't wait for you to be back to a normal routine. You are a wonderful example to so many. So glad you are getting such outstanding care and what a blessing to have family come to NIH to help out. Thank you for all the updates. You are doing an AMAZING job as a mom.

With love,
Stephanie

Anonymous said...

I hope this isn't too strange...a blog comment from a complete stranger :~) But, we began following your blog a while back, when my husband & I began discussing Chinese adoption, & we have continued to follow. We feel compelled to write and tell you that we are amazed at your strength, love & faith. We pray the Lord will sustain you...that you will be given 'little moments' of peace to reflect & renew...that Hannah will be completely healed...that your time with Lily will be multiplied in her memories..that the rest of your family will remain strong & healthy throughout this (We also pray for Kim's family). One of my favorite sayings is this...The will of God will never take you where the grace of God will not sustain you! God Bless you and your family, In Christ, Matt & Amy Wilson (and our girls...Savanna, Sydnee & Shaelyn, who pray for Hannah & Lily before bed every night) (Huntington, Indiana)

t~ said...

You've done an amazing job at your priorities. I think you look beautiful. All the best to Hannah for her numbers to improve.

Beth Burgess said...

I'd be happy to give you a break. Or, if you'd like, we can wash our grey's out in the hotel shower. LOL. A pedicure is a must...we'll have to figure that one out. I'll get back to you about next Wednesday. That just may work very well! PS-- Does that hotel have a pool? I could be giving your kids private swim lessons...no charge, of course. I'd have to bring my read agents to make sure whatever pool we were using had lots of chlorine, though. No more germs for Hannah!

Beth

Anonymous said...

Debbie,

As always you continue to amaze me!!! I have always know that you are an awesome mother, wife, friend, etc. Your willingness to share your heart so honestly is yet another example. Know that our families thoughts and prayers have been with you, Hannah, Jim and Lily as always. You know that I am always here if you need me and know that despite the distance that I am with you! May God continue to provide you with the peace and strength that you need!

Love you bunches,

Jackie G. (a voice from the past)