Friday, December 5, 2008

Live from the hospital with Hannah

This is Debbie and I am finally connected to the internet on my laptop in the hospital. I will keep this short b/c I am so tired & I know the nurse will be in here in less than 6 hours to draw Hannah's blood for testing.

Today the doctor said that Hannah will most likely be here at least another 5 days - a week for observation & to receive antibiotics through her port. Hannah's blood counts are still dangerously low -- especially, her white blood cells, level of 400.

Her port was implanted last night & it seems to be comfortable at this point. We got back to the room around 9pm last night so she didn't get to sleep until after midnight. Hannah was not her happy usual self this morning so that worried me but she perked up by this afternoon. I think the reality of being in THIS hospital room has started to sink in. I mean, really, we can't even have the door open b/c of germs .. so she is really in an isolated situation. She looks forward to visits from those that come to her room for various reasons: the chaplain, nurses, doctors, counselor, teacher and other staff. Hopefully now with this internet connection on my laptop she'll be able to Skype with her friends & cousins. I know she'd love it!!

Hannah has handled everything this week so well. She cried a lot (and I mean, A LOT!!!!!!!!!!!) when I told her we were going to the hospital but since we got here, she has been amazing. She has been cooperative & pleasant....and truly, a lot of fun. We decided that her room is the party room and we are just going to make every day an adventure even if we are stuck in this hospital room. I will try to attach a video of her dancing with the chaplain just before she left to go to have her port implanted. She has so much energy & life that it is baffling to think that she is soo sick.

This week has been a whirlwind inside a medical bubble. Today I went home for a few hours to take a shower ... and to see sweet Lily. I had dropped Lily off at Aunt Kim's on Monday morning for me to take Hannah to the doctor & I haven't been home with Lily since then! I did see her in the hospital lobby the other day for a few minutes but it was hardly a visit. I have not been able to leave Hannah at any point this week b/c Jim was working & my mom was not here yet. Now that things have settled in a bit, I will be leaving once a day to see Lily & get home. Lily has spent the week at the Slazas' and will be spending a lot more time there. I am convinced she is now half Italian ... she literally smelled like garlic tonight!! Kim said she ate 3 bowls of pasta with homemade sauce at lunch today. I don't doubt it ... the little peanut smelled like a Garlic Honey!!! Hannah will be sooo thrilled when Lily has been over her cold long enough to stop in for a quick visit. I know the sisters are really missing each other!

I can't describe how surreal it is to have had our lives turned completely upside down in such a brief amount of time. I know the Lord knows & I am so thankful that our lives are truly in His hands ... even though I don't understand why any of this is happening. I know that God does give us more than we can handle so that we will rely on Him and His strength rather than ourselves. To say the least, we are relying on only His strength to get through this one day at a time.


Yesterday was a long day b/c Hannah couldn't eat all day while we were waiting for surgery so at one point she set up her room like a game show (she, of course, was the game show host!). Jim, my mom & I all had to list things that were good about the hospital. We had a long list going but a few were: comfy beds, kind nurses, lots of movies to pick from, beds that move up/down/all around ... those are just a few of the things I remember that we listed. In all circumstances there are things to be thankful for!

Please keep praying for sweet little Hannah's bone marrow to begin working properly!!!! Thank you to everyone for nice messages, emails, texts, balloons, cards, signs, pictures, gifts, house cleaning, laundry, food, everything ... you name it, you know who you are & we are SOOOO grateful!!! We have a long road ahead of us but we know that we can trust in the Lord with all our hearts!!!

Hannah's middle name should to be changed to Joy. Once you see this video of her dancing, you'll know why. She is full of life & joy. The hospital chaplain came to pray with her before her surgery & to dance with her ... I can't get the video to upload but I will do it from home ... sorry!

5 comments:

DiJo said...

So great to hear from you Debbie! It sounds like the Lord is giving you the strength you need to get through this. I praise God for that!!!! It sounds like you have one very special and resilient daughter there. What a light she is for all to see! Praying for those blood cells!

Hugs,
Diana

Melissa said...

Thinking of you all!! I am so glad you are feeling the strength being sent ot you from God. I cna't wait to see Hannah's video!!

Unknown said...

Just got back in from out of town..we are PRAYING!!!!Sounds like Hannah is doing great in such a yucky circumstance! I emailed the staff at Nightlight and they are all praying, as well!! If there is anything we can do, please let us know! My kiddos are going to send some "wallpaper" :) Praying that Lily is getting better, too...I can't imagine being seperated from her. {{HUGS}} ~stacy (fellow NCA mama)

t~ said...

Hannah sounds to be full of so much spirit. Thinking and praying for Hannah.

frogglet said...

Hi, I am a lurker on your blog I am ashamed to say I don't even know how I found it. I just wanted to let you know that I am thinking of Hannah every day and I hope that she recovers quickly. I am sure this is a great trial for the whole family, I wish that there was more I could do but it sounds like you have have a great support system.
Take Care and thank you for allowing me to follow along with your families journey.
Cora