If my post last night about Hannah's treatment didn't make sense to you, you were not alone ... even my sister was a bit confused when I wrote that Hannah was over 1/2 way through her treatment.
In my very, very non-medical terms, here is the deal: the treatment Hannah is currently getting is called "ATG". The ATG she is getting is made of cells from rabbit (yes, think easter bunny) that work to suppress her immune system. This treatment is given by IV over 5 days. The goal is, by suppressing her immune system then her immune system will stop fighting against her bone marrow. If this treatment works then her cell counts (white, red blood cells & platelets) will start to rise in the next few months. She is on IV antibiotics so we won't be able to check out of this hospital for at least 11 more days. If after the IV antibiotics are done & her infections are gone, we will be able to go back home (and by home, I understand that to mean, our house ... not the hospital in California!).
The doctors here tell us that we probably won't see any improvement in her condition for at least a few months. The fastest they have ever seen cell counts go up is 2 months but it can take up to 6 months. During the time we are waiting for her counts to go up she will be kept out of school & restricted with certain activities, places she can go & eating certain foods. Besides the Dr restrictions & major germ precautions, my understanding is that she will be at home & living life as normal as possible for a 7 year old girl.
If her counts don't rise from the ATG then the next course of action is a bone marrow transplant. I can't even think about that. This whole thing is still so totally, totally unbelievable to me. I am learning, in a new way, to just take it one day at a time & not worry about tomorrow for tomorrow will worry about itself. Truly, that is all I can do as I trust in the Lord.
Right now Hannah is getting day #4 of her ATG medication. It goes in through IV over about 4 hours. She is sound asleep on the couch. We were up until 3am having fun watching a movie. Hannah loved it ... Trace, tell Taylor, thank you!!
Hannah woke up around 8:30am in a very, very happy mood. I think she has adjusted to this hospital. It took a few days to start to feel comfortable here after being so used to the hospital in California. This morning we snuggled in the hospital bed, talked, ate breakfast & played catch. Then my mom & Rachel came over from the Children's Inn across the street. Of course, crazy Aunt Rachel, always up to something, wore her elf slippers -- Hannah had a good laugh!!
OK, hope that clears things up ... I am off to put on some make-up. The nurses might not recognize me today since I am out of my pj's & about to add some make-up to the face. :-)!
Friday, December 19, 2008
Treatment Explanation
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


4 comments:
Thanks for the explanation. That helps. We will pray that this treatment to work perfectly and that Hannah can go back to her normal 7 yeat life!!
Our prayers are with you guys!
Christy :)
So happy that things are going better! Hannah is such a trooper and I am hoping to get a little something in the mail for her. I know it is hard to be away from family on a holiday and be in the hospital, we had that when my son was ill. Make it your own celebration and she will remember it always. You are such a neat family and are so full of love. Lily and Hannah are very lucky girls. Have a wonderful day and know we are still praying for God's healing hand to lift Hannah and produce one of his magnificent miracles. Prayers from Illinois.
So glad to have an explanation, thank you! It all sounds so scary but you sound like you are doing the best that you can! you are never far from my thoughts and you strength continues to amaze me.
I love the picture of Hannah from your last post! She's so beautiful and so happy! I know that is only because she's surrounded by so much love! She is truly blessed! I am praying for her full, miraculous recovery! Thank you for the explanation of her treatment, it does make better sense now. Love, Sylvia
Post a Comment