Hannah is still awake after being given both medications around 10pm!?! I can't post much right now because I have spent the past SEVERAL hours with a screaming, crying Hannah. I had requested this morning to have her nighttime Benadryl dose increased. The doctor on duty wouldn't do it but instead added Adavant to her nighttime medicines. Let's just say, the "Adavant / Benadryl" completely backfired! Hannah did not fall asleep but rather fell apart.
For some reason, both medicines (plus, morphine for her pain) put her into a complete emotional meltdown. She was crying for me to put in one movie - I'd put it in & two minutes later she'd be crying for me to put in another movie. At one point she was crying because she was "bored" -- even though she was surrounded by crayons, paper, a game & a movie in the DVD player. She was just beside herself! I talked to the nurses & the resident to give her something to reverse the Adavant but I guess it just has to work itself out of her system.
Needless to say, we won't be doing that "cocktail of medications" again!!
We did have a great day before all of this .. visits from some of our friends. Thanks, Jason, Brenda & Suzanne for making the trip to Fontana to spend time with Hannah! Hannah loved visiting with you guys! She is in heaven with her new Webkinz, thanks Suz -- a new thing to add to her "very full & busy" agenda here at Kaiser Fontana. Also, she loved having her hair braided & grading 4th grade papers - thanks Jason / Brenda!! And Brian / Sunja -- I forgot to mention it the other day but thanks for the haircut for Hannah & all the nice gifts. She ADORES the lamb that plays "Jesus loves Me".
Really, I shouldn't try to thank people here because I know for every person I thank, I leave out 20. Just know, EVERYTHING that EVERYONE has done for us is SOOO APPRECIATED!!! Thank you!!
Tomorrow is 3 weeks since Hannah has had anything to eat or drink. Pray she will hang in there as there is at least another week to 3 weeks to go with no food / drink.
Goodnight from Room #1303 .. tomorrow I will post more.
For now, I feel like I got run over by a Zamboni and I just want to eat some Coco Krispies once Hannah is asleep!!
Is that really too much to ask?! :-)
Thursday, February 26, 2009
Adavant / Benadryl Reaction
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


7 comments:
You are a rock, Debbie!!! Just know we are always in prayer for you (all of you), lifting you up. Love, Aunt Nancy
Debbie, You are a rock!! We are in prayer for you always, lifting you (all) up in prayer. Much Love, Aunt Nancy
Oh Deb, so sorry! Praying that you find ways to get rest and refreshing over the next few weeks!!! Cocoa Krispies is a good start - have three bowls!
Asking God for His mercy to be shown in your family - cast all your worries on Him - He cares for you!
Love,
Jennifer
Wow! Was it ativan and benadryl? I can completely identify with this one because benadryl used to make our little girl "bonkers." I cannot even imagine how ativan on top of it would have made our little one act.
Hopefully, today will be a much better day for Hannah (and Mom).
OH I am so sorry to here that, I know first hand how frustrating that is and emotionally draining that is for both of you. I also know it does not help one bit that you have been living at the hospital for this whole time with no food. Some thing is about to give :O(
My prayers are always with you!
Melisa
Hang in there & STAY STRONG!!! I know that's easier said than done. Always praying for you & Hannah!! Love from NJ, Steph
Oh my!! Our former neighbors daughter was hospitalized last year and she had the same reaction with Atavan. She was soo out of control she told her mom to leave and go home. She was talking out of her head. It is crazy how medications will affect different people. Pray that things will go more smoothly and you will get some needed rest. I am going to send something for Hannah in the next week or so. If she doesn't like it, please feel free to give it to someone else in the hospital that would enjoy it. It is a book of yo-yo tricks with three yo-yo's. It is something different and may break up some of the boredom. Pray continually that God will heal her little body sooner rather than later. It is fun to also see Lily every so often. She is growing like a weed like Carissa.
Post a Comment