* We slept til noon.
* Her platelets are at 81 (because she just got a transfusion). Her white blood cell count is at .3. Her ANC is 74 .. that is a nice improvement but still very, very, very, very low!
* Hannah's needle got dislodged b/c the IV tubing got stepped on while she was walking in the room .. she immediately knew that this meant the needle would have to be changed right away ... very, very upsetting!!!
* Hannah was beside herself while the nurses got organized for the needle to get changed. It broke our hearts to see her so sad!!!!! Really, these needle change experiences are far worse than anything she has had to deal with. Going for a bone marrow biopsy is so much easier for her. Don't ask me why, just the way it is for her.
* Jim & I are going to talk with the doctor about our options for having a different kind of port implanted (a hickman port --I think it is called?) There are different advantages / disadvantages to that port but the big advantage is no needle needs to be inserted / reinserted into her skin each week (or each doctor appointment). These needle changes are literally the most emotionally traumatic thing she is (or has) EVER gone through. If I can do anything to remove some of this, I will .. even if it means we got back into surgery for a new & improved port for her.
* Her temp climbed back up past 101 today ... so the nurse drew more blood for blood cultures ... we will see if anything happens but her body is certainly trying to fight off something.
* Her mouth sore didn't cause as much pain today but it is still bothering her -- I think she only asked for morphine once today (Nothing like having your 7 year old look over & say "Mom, could I have some morphine?" .. so strange to hear!!)
* Hannah had a visit tonight from Camille W., who came to teach her how to knit a hat. Hannah's temp was above 100 so she wasn't as perky as usual so Camille also read 3 books to Hannah -- which she really enjoyed! Thanks, Camille!!!!
* Lots of people have responded about blood donations, bone marrow, etc. It is on the top of my list to discuss with the doctor tomorrow. As soon as I have details for instructions on how to donate blood specifically for Hannah, I will post it here on the blog. .. thanks!!
* Hannah's grandparents (my parents) arrived tonight. We haven't seen them yet but they are at our house sleeping .. .my mom will be here as soon as we wake up here tomorrow!! It will be sooo great to have them here. My parents are amazing!!! Anyone that knows them knows what I am talking about. I won the lottery with parents .. caring, kind, giving, generous, down-to-earth, practical, fun & unconditionally loving to each of us! If anyone knows of a place for rent in the Rancho Cucamonga area, please let me know. My parents should look at it while they are here ... I want them here for longer than just this visit!!! They are soo helpful with everything!
* Hannah is coloring & watching Shrek. I am going to sleep .. so tired from late, late nights even if we do sleep til noon!
* I drove to Costco today to pick up some pictures (and leave the hospital for a bit!) On the way back I was thinking about how God has been my Strength through every bit of this trial. I don't feel like I am "trying to be strong" or "trying to put on a happy face". Believe me, I don't always put on a happy face. I certainly let God know my frustrations, anger, hurt & pain. He knows it any way so why shouldn't I just share it with Him?! :-) There is nothing I can hide from Him so I make it clear that I don't understand this plan & that none of Hannah's illness makes any sense to me. At the same time, I do trust Him. I do trust that He uses ALL THINGS TO WORK TOGETHER FOR GOOD! I believe Him. I promise, there is nothing in my own being that is strong - not one single ounce of me is strong!!! I can't be strong for me, for Jim, for Lily or for Hannah -- it just isn't in me. I have nothing to offer but I do have peace during this time, as it is truly the Lord sustaining me & giving me His Strength!!
So, don't think I am "being so strong" ... HE IS! Praise God that He fulfills His promise to be Ever Present in times of trouble!!
All God's best from Camp Hannah #1304
Monday, January 19, 2009
Just the Facts
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


7 comments:
Good morning Debbie & Hannah, thanks for the update. I'm glad you are discussing the port issue wit the doctor, that is good. As far as i know there is a higher chance of infection with a Hickman catheter since it is on the outside and so is more exposed. Are they using the Lidocaine gel(numbing) on the site before they access it? that might help. So glad your parents are here; I know that will be a huge support for you.
Blessings to all of you. Inge
That is great that you had a visit from Camille. That is really cool for hannah!! Please let us know about the blood donations directly for Hannah as well as the bone marrow stuff. I would be happy to do whatever is needed for dear Hannah. My favorite verse is and always has been "in my weakness his strength is made perfect" and I truely belive that and it is obvious that is the case for you! We are praying for you guys!!
Christy :)
Just the facts.
We love you.
We love you so much.
We wish we were there.
Cameron has all 4 Indiana movies memorized. Will you please consider an arranged marriage?
God is great.
Dearest Debbie and Hanna,
You will never know the extent of the lives that you are touching as you walk through this very difficult time. Every week I give my adult sunday school class an update and prayer requests from your blog.
The following message is one I received last night from Connie Jacobs. I think she has a great idea. Hanna, what do you think? What is your favorite color? And, what size T-shirt do you wear? Connie has already created a gorgeous design that says "Love the life Jesus gave you".
All my love and prayers, Mary Todd
Mary,
I was touched by the update you gave on Hannah Eriksen today. I had
Hannah as a Cubbie in AWANA a couple of years ago and remember her as
a precious little girl. My daughter knows Debbie and has been giving
me occasional updates.
After your story today about the t-shirt, I felt that Hannah needs one
that has the message she wanted. The only problem is that I don't know
her size or her favorite color. If you could find out for me, I'd
appreciate it. I put together the attached design and would like to
print it to an iron-on transfer and make her a shirt.
My daughter told me that she read on the blog that Hannah does crafts
all day and had suggested that her mom sell them on her blog. I
thought that If she likes the shirt and thinks that others would, I
could have the outline (black) silk screened on shirts and she could
then paint them with fabric paints. She could then sell them to raise
money for some charity or mission project, and keep her busy at the
same time. What do you think?
Connie
P.S. I hope I remembered Hannah's message correctly, if not I can
change it.
Hi Debbie and Hannah,
I see that you said you won the lottery on the type of parents you have and I know that Hannah has won the lottery with you and Jim as her parents... in fact... I was happily snickering as I read what you thought of your parents cause that is how I see you Debbie. ;)
Luv,
Jenny
Hey Aunt Debbie! I love you. I really want to come out there and help... *sigh* Anyway, I know that you are very busy but if you have the time, could you please post more pictures of Hannah and Lily? Tell Hannah that her fellow "big sister" is praying for her and love her.
~The bestest niece on the planet
Debbie,
I really want to donate, but I am B+. I am a donor. I thought this would be a chance I could send some Il blood your way. I wish I was A+. I will pray hard for all those A+ blood donors to donate blood your way. If you run into a problem w donors in your area, and if they approve
of donations from other agencies please let me know.
also regarding port issues. Groshong cath is another port you could inquire about. Ask the nurses if they could use a numbing topical agent before the needle change. Its like rubbing gel or lotion on your hand before the change. Or ask about giving a med before changing the needle. Sooooooooo sorry Hannah has to deal w all this.
Love ya grl friend
Misty
Post a Comment