Saturday, January 3, 2009

Needle Change Day

Today's post is a true thank you to two special women that worked some magic today to make my Hannah feel so special, loved & cared for --Jacque & Jackie!!

Hannah's nurse today was Jacque -- a true angel!!! She reassured Hannah all day that the needle change would go off without a hitch because she (Jacque) has done this many times. Needle change time came around 7pm b/c we had to schedule the change around all the medications Hannah gets. As Jacque was sitting on the bed next to Hannah & getting the 1" needle ready, Hannah started to get upset so Jacque just put down the needle stuff & very nicely said "I'll stop. You tell me to go when you are ready." Jacque was so patient with Hannah and it really made Hannah feel like she had some control over the situation. After about 20 seconds of waiting, Hannah said, "ok, you can go now - I am ready." About 5 seconds later the needle was in without any tears or complications!!!! What an answer to today's prayer -- thank you, Lord!! Afterwards, I went out in the hall to thank Jacque & I knew I was going to lose it ... so it was a very short thank you. :-)

Hannah requested a special visit tonight from her friend's mom, Jackie Jacobs. Jackie is a former teacher & truly has a special way with kids. She came in & did crafts with Hannah for over an hour. Jim & I left the room to give them privacy and to run to K-mart (across the street). Hannah's heart seemed a million times lighter when we got back (craft time was super fun & the needle was IN for another week without a hitch!!). I know it was the highlight of Hannah's day to have Jackie spend one-on-one time doing crafts with Hannah. Thank you!!

On a medical note, Hannah has not been running a fever & today's white blood cells were "up" a tiny, tiny bit (from .2 / .3 range up to .4). The dr. didn't know if the count rose because of the Nupegin they had been giving her (but she didn't get Nupegin yesterday or today). We will see how her WBC count does the next few days. I am praying & hoping this is a small sign of her bone marrow beginning to wake up a bit from the slumber. For my own sanity, I can't get my hopes up too much because I know the recovery from Aplastic Anemia can be a very long road.

Maybe because Hannah isn't running a fever & her blood cultures came back negative the doc will let her go home sooner rather than later. I am hoping for that ... I am really, really ready to be home with the whole famkly. But we will see. For right now, the sign is still on the top of the door before you walk into the room: "CAMP HANNAH". We will continue to have fun & keep things on the up & up for Hannah Fontana.

All God's best from Kaiser Hospital --

1 comment:

Inge said...

I'm so glad the Needle Change Day went well! I have never had one inserted, but I have had to do it many times when I was working as a nurse in home health. Fortunately I never had to do it on a little 7 yr old! Hannah you are very brave! The nurses are lucky to have you as a patient! I hope that the blood count continues to creep up to normal! I will continue to pray for your healing. And little Lily is a joy to see! Love, Hugs, Healing to you!